Former AFL player Shane Tuck’s death is set to be probed by a coroner
Caroline Schelle (The Fox Sport)
Concussions rules in the AFL will be probed as part of an investigation into the death of a former Tigers player who had a degenerative brain disorder.
Shane Tuck took his own life last year and an autopsy revealed the 38-year-old had “severe” chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a disease linked to changes in behaviour and mood.
The same condition was found in iconic players Graham “Polly” Farmer and Danny Frawley after they died.
The potential links between concussions, the disease and the development of mental illness will be a “strong focus” of the investigation, the Coroners Court of Victoria was told on Tuesday.
Tuck played 173 games as a midfielder for the Richmond Football club in the “modern era” between 2004 and 2013, counsel assisting Gideon Boas told the court.
“That raises questions about what was known, what was done and what could or should be done in the context of AFL,” Dr Boas said.
He said a list of players who had their professional careers ended early after serious concussions included Nicky Winmar, Heritier Lumumba, Shaun Smith and Jonathan Brown.
“The list is, of course, far longer,” he said.
A mandatory 12-day break for players who get a concussion has been brought in for this year’s season
If you need help with a workplace matter, call 1800 238 622 or firstname.lastname@example.org